On 5 July 1948 the Portman joined the NHS and changed its name from the Psychopathic Clinic to the Portman Clinic.

The  ISTD and the Portman became separate organisations, though they both remained at Bourdon Street and initially largely consisted of the same staff.

The Portman Clinic came under the management of the Paddington Group Management Committee of the North West Metropolitan Hospital Regional Board.

For more information on the Portman Clinic read Stanley Ruszczynski’s A brief introduction to the history of the Portman Clinic or The Portman Clinic: An historical sketch

Comments are closed.