In 1929 the London Child Guidance Training Centre (CGTC) obtained premises at the Tudor Lodge, 1 Canonbury Place, Islington and opened their clinic in July 1929 with Lady Lawrence as the president and Cyril Burt as the vice president. Dr. William Moodie was its first director and Lucy Fildes its first psychologist. It had three specific functions: diagnosis, treatment and research.
Later the CGTC would go on to open the Gloucester House School and ultimately the CGTC would merge with the Tavistock Clinic’s Children’s Department in 1985, forming the Child and Family Department.
A short history of child guidance in England: long-read